Wednesday, October 16, 2013

If You Never Had It....you don't know what your missing

Having a sick child with Autism drove me toward a better understanding of the human body and what it needs to heal. I read dozens of books with information about creating an optimal environment for learning and growth to give my son the best chance at reaching his full potential.

Because of the suggested dietary changes I made that amazingly lessened the severity of his autism, I noticed that food was causing some of my own recent health issues as well as other problems that had plagued me my whole life. The chronic itching and hair loss I experienced after a medication reaction was only present soon after eating wheat or gluten.

I found that consuming dairy caused the embarrassing thick, dark, dry, patches on my elbows and knees. When I eliminated these foods, my vivid nightmares disappeared as well. My brain fog and inability to wake up in the morning vanished.

These small changes in my daily life made a huge difference on the QUALITY of my life. I did my best to stay focused on keeping my family healthy.

Due to increased stress at home and at work, I began to be dependent on late-night rewards. To have candy and a Coke after the kids were in bed and the house was quiet, was my way of relieving stress.

I started to have shooting pains from my hands and fingers down my forearms. It became more intense and then it started to happen in my feet. I went to two or three doctors who were each equally sure I had tendonitis.

“Do you work at a computer all day?”

“No.”

“Do you do repetitive movements in a factory?”

“No.”

Then they would do the test where they bend your arms and wrists this way and that. Nothing. No pain. I went home with no answer and nowhere to turn.

Finally, when the pain was so intense at work I could no longer hide it, I went back to yet another doctor and said,

“Look. I do not want pain meds. I don’t want antidepressants. I just want to know WHY this is happening!”

He did blood work. He did x-rays. I was later sent to a rheumatologist. I had electric currents sent through my nerves. I had an MRI. Nothing.

I researched to find out I was experiencing peripheral neuropathy and found many diseases that could cause this symptom. One was diabetes.

Soon after testing, I began to break out in a rash all over my face, neck and arms every morning when I arrived at work. The doctors thought it was stress related, but I wasn’t entirely convinced. I tried to find a food link, but nothing seemed to fit.

Out of frustration, I went to have my allergies tested. There must be something I missed. The testing showed I was not only allergic to wheat and dairy, but also Candida, a yeast/fungus that had over grown in my gut. It survives on sugar.

Everything started to fall into place. My rashes went away and so did my hand and foot pain. I started realizing just how much sugar I was eating. In a gluten/casein free diet, you tend to over indulge in sugar and starches without realizing it. Lots of fruit, potatoes, chips, soda and rice. Sugar and yeast are hidden in many products as well, like sauces and soups. After eliminating sugar and starches, I lost forty pounds in a few short weeks.

With all the improvements in my health, I still did not feel better. Something was missing, I just couldn’t put my finger on it. I was eating fresh organic fruits and vegetables and lean organic meats. I was exercising. Why was I still finding it so hard to manage through a day?

When I decided to try chiropractic care, it was a huge turning point in my life. I had to try one more thing. I knew chiropractics had helped my husband and my children, but I had a hard time justifying spending the money on myself.

And then, the thought entered my head.....who is going to care for your family if you are not around? I knew I had to find a way to make it work. I needed to listen to my gut and have faith because I couldn't continue feeling this way.

I went to my first adjustment, just hoping to sleep better at night and have more energy. I hoped this would give me a more positive attitude. What I didn’t expect was the change in the way I would literally see the world.

It was my birthday. I had a terrible time seeing through the rain and the fog from the time I left home at 5:45 am until my appointment that afternoon. I was so frustrated. I cursed my stupid eye-sight that always seemed to hinder me. I had to be extra careful while driving, because I was prone to hitting deer and knocking off my side mirrors. It was something I had learned to live with: Severe near-sightedness. Astigmatism. It was odd how new glasses never seemed to help me see well for too long. Forever straining to see was my life. I supposed that was just my luck.

I parked the car, just glad I made it in one piece, and headed inside to try to re-adjust my contact lenses. They shouldn’t be this bad today, I thought…I just put in a fresh pair a few days ago. I turned them, I ran them under water….I was irritated at the thought of having to go in already to buy new glasses and contacts.

I waited in the waiting room. I thought about how difficult it was for me to see the instructor at my class that day. I worried about how I did on the exam, because all the notes were on the wall, which I couldn’t see.

Then, it was my turn.

I was in shock. After having my neck adjusted, and I could finally see. I could see outside in the rain and fog…and I was not enjoying life like I once had through my windshield . I could ACTUALLLY SEE details in buildings, rocks and pavement. I could read even the smallest print on signs, and people's faces and eyes were so clear….and in 3D! I felt such joy tears began streaming down my face. It gave me hope.

Dr. Chad at Maximized Living said if I hadn't already been following the healthy lifestyle protocol they encourage for their patients, I might not have seen such a dramatic change. I am so grateful for the doctors who have cared enough to give us the knowledge needed to live the healthiest lives possible....as it has helped my family to heal.....and now I can be a part of that as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment