Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Becoming the Green Bean Girl

 I recently read a note posted on facebook by a dear friend http://gaia-health.com/gaia-blog/2012-12-02/putting-love-into-cooking/.
So much of what she described her Autistic son goes through daily sounded like my own personal fight with FOOD...ugh! If only we didn't need it to survive, I would gladly be DONE.....if I didn't crave it every minute and turn to it at almost every stress that comes into my life daily. I feel like a drug addict....wanting to do what is right, but life is continually tempting me with a brief respite from the strain of the fight. I just want a moments peace to feel good. But, I never feel good for long and I deal with the illness and brain fog and guilt that follows.
I have too recently found that I cannot tolerate nuts. I think they get stuck in the creases of my intestines and I cannot pass them so they stick and make me feel terrible and grouchy. I've wondered for years about a thyroid disorder- Hashimotos runs in my family and both of my boys are treated for it. However, I haven't been able to get any doc to do the expensive TSH test....just the standard ones have been within normal range. (I still take two Iodine drops a day because I feel better- more "grounded")
List of Foods I feel I cannot tolerate:
Dairy (allergy)
Wheat (allergy)
Candida (allergy) So, no SUGAR
Pork (sometimes)
Onions
Peppers
Tomatoes
Potatoes
Rice
All Fruit except Grapefruit (newly introduced)
Chicken (unless organic)
Beans (all except green)
Carrots
Eggs (allergy)

I also do not care for raw veggies....just can't stand the texture of them, except carrots which I can't tolerate either way. And by tolerate, I mean I feel yucky, crappy, sick, and slow.

My daily diet consists of Dynamic Greens powder in coconut milk, two hamburgers with a ton of green veggies like beans or peas, and then chicken, steak, or pork with a ton of green veggies. And once in a while I have some sugar-free coconut milk ice cream.

"Cannot Tolerate" for me usually shows up the next morning, like a hangover. I feel great while eating what I shouldn't....no stomach or intestinal pains. But by the time I wake up, I am groggy, crabby, I can't think straight and I am EXHAUSTED....usually needing at least 10 hours of sleep, and if I didn't get it WATCH OUT! ;) I don't talk much throughout the day. I forget easily what I am supposed to be doing. I run into things frequently. I get black puffy circles under my eyes. My vision is foggy and blurry and I basically shut out the world.

My allergy symptoms are different:
Wheat: Itching, hair loss, constipation, bloating
Dairy: vivid nightmares, hard grey patches of skin on my elbows, knees and feet, cravings, big-time brain fog and blurry vision
Eggs: intestinal issues and swelling of the legs and feet

Cutting out Sugar:

And throughout all of my daily food drama...even eliminating all those foods was not enough to actually feel 100% better. I would figure out a little more and a little more and maybe be 10-20% better. I was at the end of my rope, not seeing any happiness in anything I did. I really lost the joy in my life because of constant inner turmoil.

When I decided I needed to take better care of myself, it was a huge turning point in my life. I had wanted to start Chiropractic care as the rest of my family had seen amazing results, but I couldn't justify the cost for myself. I need that money for Autism. (bet ya didn't think there was a tie in) I have to watch every penny and make sacrifices to give my kids the best chance at life and I can't take that away from them by seeking selfishly after treatment for myself.

And then, the thought entered my head.....who is going to care for them if you are not around? I knew I had to find a way to make it work. I needed to try something because I couldn't keep on going living the way things were.

I went to my first adjustment and I could miraculously see for the first time since I was 6 years old- when I got my first pair of glasses. I had always had problems seeing well.....my prescription changed every year, sometimes better, sometimes worse, sometimes astigmatism in one eye sometimes in both. One time the prescription was so off when I went to pick them up, I could not see ANYTHING out of them and I had to redo the whole process.
I was also never a good driver...especially at night. Lights blinded me and I couldn't judge distance well. I can't even tell you the number of deer I hit or the times I took off a mirror. :/ I had just accepted I CAN'T SEE! I just have bad eyesight.
That wasn't the case at all. I had my neck adjusted and I could finally see details and people's eyes and in 3D! I was living in a two-dimensional world wearing frost-covered glasses. I felt pure joy and it gave me back the will to live and keep going in this crazy autism journey I call "life".

Dr. Chad at Maximized Living http://trcwellness.com/ said if I hadn't already been following the healthy lifestyle protocol they encourage for their patients, I might not have seen such a dramatic change. I am so grateful for the doctors who have cared enough to give us the knowledge.....as it has helped my family to heal.....and now I can be a part of that as well

No comments:

Post a Comment