Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Just because I don't enjoy running, doesn't mean I'm lazy

Running is the "it" thing.  Everyone wants to run a 5K and there is a marathon for just about every organization and cause on the planet.

You're not cool, unless you run a 5K.

And if you are lucky enough to have the bragging rights of a half-marathon, WELL.....just. wait. until you can look down your noses at all of us when you run your first real marathon!

In all seriousness, there are lots of people who run daily and participate in these events who are not judgmental.  In fact, my sister in law is one of those avid runner show offs with the cute running attire and perfectly fitted expensive shoes holding a medal  or wearing a sash.  She loves it.  It's her "thing" and I applaud her for it.  I really do.  I am in awe.

But there are people I have encountered who make you feel like a worthless pile of crap if the idea of running for FUN isn't exactly appealing to you.

Just because I don't want to run, doesn't make me lazy. 

It's just not my idea of fun.  Getting up early.  Braving the weather...rain or shine...hot or cold.  Did I mention the sweating?  This is the opposite of fun for me.

I really enjoy musicals and theater.  My husband despises them.  He doesn't understand how singing in the middle of a show adds anything to it except noise.  Is he uneducated? Does that make him a complete loser? (ummm....that's a loaded question....I digress)

I am tired of being judged because I don't enjoy running or hiking or playing football or soccer.  Not everyone is particularly coordinated to do these things.

Should I be active to stay healthy?  Of course. But if I choose to walk on the treadmill, why should I be made to feel inferior?

What many people don't realize is how debilitating allergies can be fore some people.  Being outside is not enjoyable when your asthma and/or allergies kick in and make you sick and miserable for days.  Maybe that sounds like an excuse, but until you've walked in my shoes, please don't judge my lack of trudging about in the wilderness.

I enjoy different forms of exercise like swimming and dancing. 

All the name calling, back biting and superiority is what keeps women from being able to be good friends to each other.  We need to seriously take a look at our perception of others, and think about how we would feel in their shoes.  Not everyone has to have the same "likes" to be of value.  Not everyone who doesn't run for fun is a fat lazy loser.  And it definitely doesn't make you better than me.





No comments:

Post a Comment